What should I do if I've been injured in a slip & fall accident?

Most businesses and homeowners carry liability insurance to protect them in the event that someone is injured while on their property. This would include slip and fall type cases which are generally known as premise liability cases. The owner or possessor of a residence, land, or place of business has the duty to exercise reasonable care for the protection of those individuals who are invited to come upon the premises. This would include those who, as members of the public, come upon the land or enter a store or place of business to shop or do business. In such cases, the owner, company, or person occupying the premises must inspect the premises to discover any dangerous conditions and warn the invitee of dangers upon the premises. Additionally, the property owner or possessor has a duty to exercise ordinary care in maintaining his or her premises in a reasonably safe condition in order to prevent injury to persons on the property. Furthermore, owners or possessors of land or buildings must take reasonable measures after an accumulation of snow and ice to diminish the hazard of injuries to others. Landowners may also be responsible for injuries occurring as a result of poorly maintained or poorly lit common areas of a building such as stairways, sidewalks, and halls. Likewise, homeowners may be liable for injuries which occur in their homes or yards if such injury results from a condition which presents an unreasonable risk of harm to those who have permission to be upon the premises. Those injured by a negligent owner or possessor of a premise may recover damages for their injuries, including, loss of income, medical expenses, pain and suffering, etc. If you are injured upon someone else's property, you should consult an experienced personal injury attorney who will be able to analyze your case and the principles of law concerning premises liability. You should not give an interview to insurance adjusters of investigators hired by insurance companies until you have consulted with an attorney.  For a Free Consultation, click here.